Penn State York is primarily a commuter campus with about 10 percent of our students living in off-campus housing. Off-campus housing options in York vary by price and quality. The Penn State York Student Affairs Office offers the use of phones for calling landlords and making appointments to see the properties.
NOTE: The Pennsylvania State University makes no representation regarding the Web sites listed within this Web page and regarding the housing or landlords listed through those links. The properties are listed at the request of the landlords to assist students in locating possible off-campus housing opportunities. Students are responsible to inspect the property and negotiate lease terms with any landlord. The Pennsylvania State University has not inspected or investigated these listings or landlords in any way and is not endorsing any specific properties or landlords for students by this listing. The Pennsylvania State University disclaims any responsibility, among other things, for the condition of any premises, terms of any leases, treatment by any landlord, or compliance with any applicable local zoning ordinances.
- Placefinder.com is a free service designed to help students locate available rental properties, rooms, apartments, homes, and potential roommates while living in the York area.
- Apartment Finder allows individuals to search for a place by the number of bedrooms, range of rent cost, neighborhood or area of town, and a wide variety of amenities.
- ApartmentList.com - Over 1.8 million listings nationwide.
- Use RelocationLink.com to find a map of the area, moving tips, free information about local businesses and services, and general facts about the area.
- Downtown York, PA provides information about shopping, dining, recreation/attractions, and housing in the York City area.
- The York County Convention & Visitors Bureau offers the official York County Visitors Guide, coupons, and interactive maps, as well as information about shopping, dining, and things to do/events to attend.
- InYork.com contains information similar to that of local periodicals, such as news, classifieds, employment opportunities, and entertainment.
Important Housing Considerations
The most important first step in the search for housing is to know what you are looking for; so, before beginning your search, evaluate your circumstances and answer the following questions:
- What can I afford?
- What are the advantages/disadvantages of the various types of housing?
- What kind of accommodations do I want?
- Where do I want to live?
- How much and what kinds of space do I need?
- Do I want a roommate or roommates?
- What are the rights and obligations of tenants and property owners?
- Do I know how to evaluate a rental agreement (lease)?
- When am I willing to start paying rent?