WPN Awards 2019-20
Thanks to the efforts of the 2019–20 members, gifts totaling $33,250 allowed the WPN to surpass its best performance from the previous year. This support, raised amid the 2020 pandemic, permitted the WPN to provide the following grants:
- Four WPN Leadership Scholarships
- Biology Equipment Grant: Funding to purchase a -80º freezer and a protein imager used for research conducted by Penn State York faculty and students
- Women’s Conference Awards to Students: Provide funding for nine students to attend the annual Women’s Conference in Philadelphia – held virtually in November 2020.
- Phi Beta Lambda (PBL) Competition Grant: Provide funding for PBL students, successfully receiving an invitation to compete nationally, to travel to Anaheim, CA in 2021.
- Biology Research Grant: Provide funding for biology majors to have a field research experience in the summer of 2021.
- Digital Story Telling Grant: Provide funding to showcase students, in professional videos, on our website and in social media – to share with others their successes accomplished at Penn State York
- Staff Advisory Council Grant: Provide funding for training seminars to strengthen the skill sets of our campus staff members, that will ultimately help Penn State York provide exceptional customer service to our students.
WPN Awards 2018–19
Thanks to the efforts for the 2018 – 2019 members, the WPN successfully reached the fourth-year goal of $33,000. With this support, the WPN provided:
- Four WPN Leadership Scholarships
- Pullo Center Inspiration Grant: A grant to the Pullo Family Performing Arts Center (The Pullo Center) for an Inspiration Speaker Program. This will provide the theatre with funding to bring an inspirational book author to the stage to share their success story with our students and the community.
- Robotics Football Team Grant: Funding to build the team (the first such entity in the Penn State University’s footprint) and for the team to travel to their first national competition.
- Sports Clinic and Recruiting Grant: Support the coaching staff to attend clinics and provide funding for coaches to travel to meet with prospective student athletes and recruit them to come to Penn State York.
- Harrisburg Area Community College (HACC) Articulation Scholarship: Provide scholarships to bridge the financial gap so that HACC students can easily articulate to Penn State York to pursue their baccalaureate degrees.
- Women’s Conference Awards to Students: Provide funding for Student Affairs to chaperone and accompany four students to attend the annual Women’s Conference in Philadelphia.
WPN Awards 2017–18
Thanks to the efforts of the 2017–18 members, the WPN successfully reached the third year goal of $31,018. With this support, the WPN provided:
- A final funding grant for the Nittany Success Center – the renovation and relocation are complete. A WPN legacy will be established with the naming of one of the offices in the new facility.
- The new Penn State Cares program created and managed by the Student Affair’s Office.
- The Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics (STEAM) Pathways Program – bringing a keynote speaker, Christine McKinley, to the seminar to inspire attendees to choose STEAM careers for their future.
- Seed money for a new co-ed athletics team: golf.
- The Connect Ed Program in association with Penn State York’s Lee R. Glatfelter Library.
- Four WPN Leadership Scholarships.
WPN Awards 2016—17
Thanks to WPN members, the 2016-17 year was a rousing success. The stretch goal of $28,000.00 was reached, and your support absolutely provided a positive impact at the campus. Due to your generosity:
- Two leadership scholarships were awarded.
- The Teaching International (TI) program continued its success.
- Plans to transform and relocate the Nittany Success Center are ongoing and it close to being a reality.
- The campus established a new relationship with the Center for Human Trafficking and increased academic options within the human development and family studies (HD FS) major.
- On-site counseling services for students was expanded.
- Additional support for the women’s softball team was provided.
- CARE training was provided for faculty.
WPN Awards 2015–16
Thanks to the efforts of the 2015–16 members, the WPN successfully surpassed the first year goal of $20,500. With this support, the WPN provided:
- Four Leadership Scholarships to Penn State York students
- A learning center grant to support the renovation and relocation of the Nittany Success Center
- Sponsorship of a 20th anniversary keynote speaker for the of the STEM Pathways program – Dottie Metcalf-Lindenburger, retired astronaut, inspired more than 200 seventh grade girls participating in the program to explore future STEM education and career paths
- Provided the critical seed funding to create a new women’s softball program and hire a coach to start the recruitment process for the team